Friday, February 25, 2011

Fab Friday Technique

This week's Wednesday with Wings card featured some bandana print paper. I remembered seeing this technique online several years ago, so I went in search of tutorials. (Using your favorite search engine, a search on bandana technique tutorial will yield lots of results.)  However, all of the tutorials required glossy paper, Staz-On ink, ink refills and a spray bottle. This seemed way too involved for a little piece of paper to use as background on one card! So, I came up with this quick and easy version.

Supplies needed: solid color cardstock (I used TAC's Scarlet), black ink (I used Memento because I wanted something that would show up well against the deep red cs), paisley or other background design stamps (I used a retired TAC set) and a white gel pen.

In the picture below, you'll see the initial steps:
LEFT SIDE: original cardstock
RIGHT, UPPER CORNER:  medium size paisley design stamped onto paper
RIGHT, BOTTOM CORNER: small flowers added to fill in empty spots


Next, white accents were added with a gel pen. I found this worked best when I kept my accents confined to a small area. It was easier to get a smooth, solid application of white gel ink.(Notice the paisley in the middle where I attempted to fill in the outline. I wasn't happy with how it turned out, so I decided to add the white dots around the paisleys instead.)


Some day, I will probably try to make "real" bandana paper with reinkers, glossy paper, etc. But if you want to make some bandana print paper in a hurry, try out my technique. Be sure to let me know if you do!
Lisa

No comments: